By M. Tomko
Read Online or Download British Romanticism and the Catholic Question: Religion, History and National Identity, 1778-1829 PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
The talk over extending complete civil rights to British and Irish Catholics not just preoccupied British politics but additionally educated the romantic period's such a lot popular literary works. This e-book bargains the 1st complete, interdisciplinary research of Catholic Emancipation, one of many romantic period's such a lot contentious concerns.
The 1st significant cultural learn to concentration solely in this decisive interval in smooth British-Chinese family members. in response to large archival investigations, Peter J. Kitson indicates how British wisdom of China used to be produced from the writings and translations of a various diversity of missionaries, diplomats, visitors, investors, and literary women and men through the Romantic interval.
This publication brings jointly fourteen of the main bold and thought-provoking contemporary essays via David Punter, who has been writing at the Gothic to educational and basic popularity of over thirty years. Punter addresses advancements in Gothic writing and Gothic feedback because the mid-eighteenth century, via setting apart and discussing particular topics and situations that experience remained correct to literary and philosophical dialogue over the many years and centuries, and in addition by way of paying shut awareness to the motifs, figures and recurrences that loom so huge in twenty-first-century engagements with the Gothic.
In a chain of consultant case experiences, Marianne Van Remoortel lines the improvement of the sonnet in the course of excessive moments of swap and balance, continuity and clash, from the early Romantic interval to the top of the 19th century. Paying specific recognition to the function of the preferred press, which served as a venue of innovation and as a website of recruitment for aspiring authors, Van Remoortel redefines the scope of the style, together with the ways that its improvement is intricately on the topic of problems with gender.
- Empiricism and the Early Theory of the Novel: Fielding to Austen (Palgrave Studies in the Enlightenment, Romanticism and the Cultures of Print)
- The Regency Revisited (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Severo Sarduy and the Neo-Baroque Image of Thought in the Visual Arts (Purdue Studies in Romance Literatures)
- Romanticism and Civilization: Love, Marriage, and Family in Rousseau’s Julie (Politics, Literature, & Film)
- Visionary Dreariness: Readings in Romanticism's Quotidian Sublime (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Shelley and the Apprehension of Life (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
Extra resources for British Romanticism and the Catholic Question: Religion, History and National Identity, 1778-1829
British Romanticism and the Catholic Question: Religion, History and National Identity, 1778-1829 by M. Tomko